Behavioral Specialist Administrator
Hello! I am delighted to introduce myself in this new role at SMART Christian Academy and Early Learning Center for the 2022-2023 school year! I have been a special educator for 15 years in the public high school setting (Oakwood H.S. and Urbana H.S.) and recently earned my Masters Degree from ISU in special education. Serving students, families, and staff in the earlier years of learning is such an exciting change for me, and being with my own children more is quite a perk too!
You will likely see me greeting students each morning and waving goodbye each afternoon. Throughout each day I plan to support students and staff as needed, and I will be a special support to ensure that all of our students achieve success academically and behaviorally. I have the added bonus of getting to teach 5th grade math this year too!
There are a couple school-wide programs I will be leading this year:
- Chapel. Each week, all of the students at the academy will gather together to worship through song and engage with a brief Bible lesson.
- Behavior Expectations. You/your student will receive some papers outlining our behavior expectations, and you may see some posters throughout the hallways to help us all prompt our students together.
- Birthday: May 15
- I was the drum major for my high school marching band.
- I lived in the Philippines for three months.
- Hobbies: Hiking, Reading, Theater
- Drink: Sweet tea
- Snacks: Dill pickles, little chocolates, root beer barrels, Jelly Bellies
- Store: Meijer
- Restaurants: Olive Garden, Big Grove
- Sports Teams: Urbana Tigers
- Color: Sage green
- Bible Verse: Psalm 46:10
Mrs. Morton received her Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education from Illinois State University in 2008 as well as her Master’s Degree in Learning & Behavior with a certificate in Curriculum Modification in 2022. Mrs. Morton previously spent 15 years as a special education instructor in the public school setting at both Oakwood and Urbana High School before joining SMART Christian Academy in 2022.